Blog design and digital scrapbooking elements created by Adori Graphics »

Savvy Shopper and Freelance Writer for The Lubbock Avalanche Journal

Thursday, August 4, 2011

IT'S OK TO ASK FOR HELP!!!

     Bless her heart, my 2 year old was screaming her head off in the living room today. Of course, I'm at the other end of the house when this happens, so I'm calling to her and heading her way simultaneously. I don't know how many times I said, "What's wrong?!" but I didn't get an answer until I reached her screaching self having a full on fit in my living area. "So what in the world is wrong?" I asked, half panicked. "My puwas is stuck," she cried. Oh, I totally get it now, her purse strap was caught under the wheel of my office chair (don't ask me how), and the chair was too heavy for her to push so the purse was stuck. Totally panick worthy. Sheesh. I'm having a heart attack thinking something is horribly wrong and it's just a 2 year old throwing a fit because she can't fix the problem on her own. So, I say the same thing I always say in situations like this, "Sweetheart, just call mommy if you have a problem and I'll come help you, ok?" Then I have a duh moment. Oh, wonder where she gets that from? Uh, ME. Hellooo. Yeah, I'm so stinkin' independant I'll throw down with an office chair in a minute if I have a problem. Asking for help is not my M.O.

     That's probably how most of us moms handle situations. We feel it is our duty to push through whatever may be problematic and take it and take it until we can't take it anymore, and then... E.X.P.L.O.S.I.O.N.!!! Like when I had all 4 of my girls and the baby blues turned into postpartum depression, but did I ask for help? Oh no. I'm capable of handling this. I can will my body to produce sufficient amounts of estrogen and I will feel better. Right now. Now. Ok, NOW. It doesn't work that way unfortunately, and I see in myself this need to be in control. In charge. Mrs. Fix-It. So, I want to encourage the rest of you lovelies to reach out when you need help. Don't try to be in control of everything. Don't try to take on everything, and don't try to be in charge of everyone. Sometimes we all need a little help, or maybe a lot. But regardless, we need it, and it's ok to ask for help. In fact, if you are having postpartum or know someone who is, please ask for help. There's no shame in having a body that goes through cycles. That's pretty much life as a woman, right? Well, so it goes with post-baby cycles, and monthly cycles, and even life cycles. People have stigmatized mental health as a nasty dirty thing that we all need to hide in our closets and never bring out. You don't see Diabetics doing that, or folks with high cholesterol, right? Well, ladies, the same goes with that emotional roller coaster we all get on. I don't know if there's a way to get off the roller coaster (and how boring would life be if we could), but I definitely know there's a safe way to ride it. And, it's ok to ask for help if you need to. I promise, there's help out there just waiting to be called on.   :)

xoxo,
Rachel

Subscribe to my blog via email or Google Friend Connect. Find me on Twitter @HotPinkNChoc for blog updates and unpublished deals, giveaways, and freebies!

0 comments:

Post a Comment